21 Jan The Skinny on Drinking
Okay, so raise your hand if you are going out this weekend…
Now raise your hand if you are going to a bar this weekend…
Now raise your hand if you are going to a restaurant this weekend…that happens to have a bar…
Now raise your hand if you have been watching what you eat all week and you feel like you deserve to let loose, let your hair down etc…
Now raise your hand if you actually aren’t going out because you have small children at home but you plan on hitting the make-shift bar…at your house…(I’m raising my hand on this one by the way)
I am a HUGE fan of moderation! I know you can’t be perfect all the time (gasp) so having a drink every now and then is perfectly acceptable (if you are 21 or older of course).
Red wine is my go-to not only because it’s delicious (I developed a hankering for it during a summer I spent in Italy) but because it’s low in calories AND it has some important health benefits! If you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past several years and haven’t heard that before, I’ll break down the benefits for you:
- It has anti-oxidants
- It can help lower blood pressure
- It can help burn fat
- It can prevent build up in arteries
- It can help keep your skin looking healthy
- It can lower the risk of heart disease
But…sometimes a glass of red wine just isn’t going to cut it for you, right? It’s the weekend! Let’s get crazy! Let’s get wild! (For me, staying up past 10 is a wild and crazy night but that’s neither here nor there)
So, if you truly are feeling the need for a more “party/ I’m out on the town type of cocktail”, here are some great, low-calorie ones to try!
1. Diet rum and coke
2. Mojito– ask for half the simple syrup OR eliminate it all together! (about 140 calories)
3. Sea breeze (instead of vodka-cranberry; about 180 calories)
4. Vanilla vodka and diet ginger ale (this is a personal favorite of mine, about 100 calories)
5. Tequila and soda (instead of a margarita; about 100 calories)
6. Champagne – only 85 calories per glass! (And who doesn’t like a glass of bubbly every now and then?)
7. Sour apple martini (about 160 calories)
8. Vodka and some kind of diet lime- flavored soda (about 100 calories)
9. Gin and tonic (another personal favorite, about 100 calories)
10. Mudslide (instead of a White Russian; about 180 calories)
Comment below and tell me which ones you like!
Don’t forget, you can also find me on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook!
Picture Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dinnerseries/15176009718/in/photolist-p841XY-jpciM2-8A4oDs-urFieE-o6SY7A-ptYMD1-attjym-fpnfpA-9iRqBM-a5WM2t-kdsAGx-fp7ZH2-5quCba-9zP3PK-wRodw5-zJMAzY-94h7jv-62sUh3-fpnfh3-7ZYEsm-9mAREw-qBLUTe-nQmsp-hjdX4x-cV8Sr-4DUgbx-9Wkd6y-k8g8QZ-bF4FDH-bWPRXt-91yco7-C6RN5A-eF2jEu-pWLWc-ewLmmp-4tG4EZ-dd8rFN-bjEnQb-fBkoyi-dMn5VK-NmQF4-4tL753-dxT3uw-zH57YC-yZBa-attjvS-8aUj5P-5jp3u1-5NFLKo-8SJnKq
License: CC BY 2.0
Picture Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/geishaboy500/4532220990/in/photolist-6BTGVt-qMzwSK-7sUkZ4-47hboi-7veASL-e1PU6i-7UuPpd-6BTyQz-8Q9DmD-bfwUyR-49kxMU-47hbn8-4La9dN-a5xHLo-gXBttv-7UudnN-pfCmh3-7yEyDP-8K277F-7UrusX-8HTjVo-t2Wf-dpp3iv-9jV14p-fxyg3n-hMXJQs-8vJZZs-4dNkuG-7GaMqa-4w8KJd-qe9kKR-bdUSzk-7UudEo-d8cmaf-rbt74-fSPYcg-feyNMg-dvXFW4-9Hg7nf-7qxKyQ-bJNRxe-4n4ih6-9RVqF6-7zwHi6-6BTyQH-yu8SFy-cDNcuu-a58L5J-bnSiAP-gXBt17
License: CC BY 2.0