02 Sep Success and Failure
I just finished reading the Slight Edge, by Jeff Olson (I highly recommend it!) and one of the things that resonated with me the most was this:
“If you want success, you need to double your rate of failure.”
Kind of seems counterintuitive doesn’t it? But…think about it for a minute…
In fact, let’s break it down.
What does it mean if you’ve failed something? It means you’ve TRIED! Yes, it means it didn’t work the first time (or maybe the second or the third) BUT it means you put effort in.
When you fail, you have learned…you have grown…you have changed and that is NEVER wasted effort.
It is SO much better to fail than to never try in the first place! (Seriously awesome words of wisdom right here, by yours truly)
Have I always thought like this? Heck no!
I used to think if I failed at something, that was it. I was done. It was over and I was not going to accomplish whatever it was I was trying to do. I thought I wasn’t good enough, strong enough, smart enough, creative enough, fill-in-the-blank enough.
I used to think that I was destined to live a “normal” life. To go to school, get married, have kids and that was pretty much it. But I have found, over this past year as I began this health and fitness journey, that life can be so much more for me…or for you… or for anybody!
I was the only one putting limits on myself. I was the only one preventing myself from dreaming big.
Then I started coaching. And I started reading a ton of personal development books and guess what???
I know things to be totally different now! I know that I am capable of what ever I set my mind to. I know that I can dream BIG and think BIG and do BIG things. I know this because anyone one of us…no matter who you are, your background, your education, your current situation….you CAN reach your dreams.
There is NO greater power than the power of determination. And I am determined, no matter how many times I fail (in fact I hope I fail because that means I’m trying) I will achieve my dreams.
They are big. They are scary. But they WILL happen.
Tips to Reaching Your Goals/Dreams:
- Write them down.
- Set a timeline (I will accomplish this by….)
- Tell others about it (another layer of accountability)
- Make a dream board and look at it EVERY SINGLE DAY.
- Set short term and long term goals
- Read 10 pages of a personal development book daily
- Write down some daily affirmations, tape them to your bathroom mirror and look at them every day AND say them out loud to yourself in the mirror EVERY SINGLE DAY
- Write down 3 things you are grateful for EVERY MORNING. (Keep a notepad by your bed so it’s the first thing you do before you even get up)
- Surround yourself with others who lift you up, who have big goals and dreams and who are supportive
- Believe in yourself – Believe that you can and will do this.