12 Mar Spring Forward with Salads
There’s something about Spring that makes me think of salads.
Maybe it’s because the trees are starting to bloom or because the air smells fresher or because it’s a new beginning OR maybe it’s because Spring is quickly followed by Summer which means it’s bikini time and I am DETERMINED to wear one despite having a baby in January!
Sundays are meal prep days and for the past few weeks I’ve been prepping salads to eat for lunch for the week. (This has worked out REALLY well since, during the day, I don’t have time to chop veggies and put together something other than a PB&J – which is what was happening before I started meal prepping).
So, I wanted to share some delicious salads that I’ve recently discovered that you can have for lunch OR dinner OR both 🙂
QUINOA AND SMOKED TOFU SALAD
- 2 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (see Tip)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 6- or 8-ounce package baked smoked tofu, (see Tip), diced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- Bring water and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until the water has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread the quinoa on a baking sheet to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooled quinoa, tofu, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and mint; toss well to combine.
QUINOA SPINACH SALAD
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup prepared quinoa
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, sliced into strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- Assemble the ingredients for the salad.
- Sprinkle with prepared quinoa
- For the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice and fresh basil into a small mason jar.
- Cover and shake until well combined.
- Toss the salad with some dressing and serve.
(NO MAYO) MEDITERRANEAN TUNA SALAD
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 can light tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers (jarred in water), chopped
- 2 Tbs fresh basil, chopped
- black pepper to season
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil until emulsified. Stir in the tuna, red onions, roasted bell peppers and basil. Season to taste with black pepper. Boom.
- Serve as a sandwich with bread, half of a pita, or a sandwich thin. This is also AMAZING served over some greens for a yummy, filling salad.
DECONSTRUCTED FISH TACOS SALAD
- 12 oz fish or shrimp
- salt-free taco seasoning
- fresh cilantro
- 3 limes
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 avocado, 1/2 of it diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 Tablespoon diced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- Salad greens, chopped
- Cabbage, shredded
- Marinade the fish in taco seasoning, juice from 1 lime, and a small bunch of cilantro. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Combine the mango through the diced red onion from the list of ingredients to make the salsa, using the 1/2 diced avocado. Add juice from one lime and a tablespoon of chopped cilantro.
- Grill fish until flaky and white.
- While the fish is cooking, make the Avocado Cilantro dressing. Simply place 1 cup of cilantro leaves and stems, the remaining half of avocado, the Greek yogurt, water, garlic and squeeze of lime. Pulse and you are DONE! Go check on your fish.
- Plate your salad with greens and cabbage, fish, mango salsa, and top with a Tablespoon of the delicious dressing.
I hope you enjoy these!!!