I know I am a bit behind with these weekly recipes but the holiday weekend threw me off a bit.
We spent our Memorial Day running 3 miles with Wear Blue, Run to Remember, remembering soldiers who have given the ultimate sacrifice, followed by having a BBQ with friends and family and we finished the day off by playing with our kids outside in the sun.
My husband was explaining Memorial Day to our 4 year old and what he said was this: We go to Run to Remember to honor the Soldiers who have died and then we spend the rest of the day with family and friends so we can enjoy what those soldiers have given us.
Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever heard it explained better than that!
We grilled hamburgers, hot dogs and sausages and shared them with our friends who came over for lunch. The sun was out, the kids were playing and running around outside and I thought – whoa…summer is pretty much here now and one of the things we love doing (or one of the things I like to ask my husband to do) is grill!
So….guess what??? All of these recipes I’m going to share with you this week are all done on the grill and…they only take 20 minutes!!!!
Skewers of Chicken and Zucchini with Almond Salsa Verde
1. Soak 12 (10-inch) wooden skewers in water 30 minutes to prevent burning.
2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
3. To prepare salsa, combine first 12 ingredients; set aside.
4. To prepare spiedini, thread chicken and zucchini alternately onto each of 12 (10-inch) skewers. Coat spiedini with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place on grill rack; grill 6 minutes or until done, turning once. Serve with salsa.
Tip: Serve with a crisp, summer green salad and/or fresh fruit for a light and tasty meal
Barbecue Lime Shrimp and Corn
At home, combine the first 9 ingredients in a heavy-duty, zip-top plastic bag, and seal. Place the corn, shrimp, and couscous in separate heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags, and seal bags. Place the shrimp in cooler.
At campsite, place lime mixture, corn, and shrimp in foil oven bag. Place directly on hot coals (or in a 450° oven if at home); cook 10 minutes. Serve over couscous.
Tip: you could also add your favorite sausage to this!
Sliders with Shallot Dijon Relish
1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, and sirloin. Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/4-inch-thick patty. Lightly coat both sides of patties with cooking spray. Place patties on grill rack; grill for 3 minutes on each side or until done.
3. Combine shallots, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and butter in a small bowl, stirring well. Cut rolls in half horizontally. Spread shallot mixture evenly over cut sides of rolls. Layer 1 patty and 2 pickle chips on bottom half of each roll; top with top halves of rolls.
Tip: Serve with home made sweet potato fries
Another tip: Lose the buns and use Romaine lettuce instead for a low-carb version!
Grilled Sirloin Salad
Combine first 7 ingredients; rub over both sides of steak. Heat a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Add steak; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut the steak across grain into thin slices.
While steak cooks, combine salad greens and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to coat. Top with steak.
Tip: Serve with your favorite red wine!
I hope you enjoy these family friendly, healthy and tasty recipes on the grill!!!
Please share these recipes with your family, friends and loved ones!!!