The theme this week is – things you can wrap in lettuce! Any of these recipes would be great for lunch OR dinner – talk about versatI firstility AND deliciousness AND healthy food! You’re welcome!!
When I first heard about wrapping burgers, tuna, etc. in lettuce wraps, I thought – no thank you! I like carbs! I like tortillas and bread and hamburger buns! But, I gave it a try over 3 years ago because my husband was doing the paleo thing and I’ve never looked back!
So, if you feel the same way I did, all I can say is – don’t knock it til you try it! And here are some great recipes to get you started!
Clean-Eating Korean Beef
◦1 pound lean ground beef or turkey meat
◦ 1/4 cup coconut sugar
◦ 1/4 cup Tamari or Coconut Aminos (substitute for soy sauce)
◦ 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
◦ 3 cloves garlic, minced
◦ 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
◦ 1/2 – 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (depending on how spicy you like it)
◦ salt and pepper
◦ 1 bunch green onions, sliced
1.Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the ground beef in the sesame oil. Add the garlic towards the end of browning and cook for a couple of minutes. Drain the fat.
2.Add the coconut sugar, Tamari or Coconut Aminos, ginger, salt and pepper and red pepper. Simmer for a few minutes to blend the flavors.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Tip: Serve over quinoa and top with green onions. Serve it with a side of steam green beans or sugar snap peas.
Another Tip: If you like your meals paleo style – serve this with a side of veggies and wrap the beef in lettuce leaves instead of serving over rice.
Rainbow Thai Chicken Salad
Thai Chicken Salad Ingredients:
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used Rotisserie Chicken)
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 (large) carrot, julienned or shredded
- 1 red pepper, cored and julienned (or diced)
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts
Peanut Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (if you are gluten-free, use GF soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- juice of 1 lime
- pinch of red pepper flakes
To Make The Salad:
Toss all salad ingredients together until combined. Drizzle with dressing or toss to combine. Serve immediately.
To Make The Dressing:
Whisk all ingredients together until combined. If the dressing is too thick, add hot water a teaspoon at a time until it reaches the consistency you desire.
Tip: This can obviously be a salad OR you can take that delicious salad mixture and wrap it in large lettuce leaves, drizzle the dressing in there and enjoy it! Either way, it’s really good!
Side Note: I LOVE this salad because not only does it meet the requirements for clean-eating, paleo and whole 30, but my kids love all of the goodies in it too!
Chicken Gyro Lettuce Wraps
1 lb ground chicken or turkey meat
1 1/2 cup Cucumber
1/4 tsp Dill, fresh
1 Garlic clove
1 Garlic clove, small
1 Onion, small
1 tsp Oregano
1 tbsp Rosemary, dried
2 tsp Lemon juice
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Olive oil
8 oz Greek yogurt, plain non-fat
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.In a bowl, use your hands to combine ground chicken, dried rosemary, oregano, garlic, grated and diced onion, and olive oil. Use a small ice cream scoop to form mixture into heaping tablespoon meatballs. Line up on baking sheet. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
3.While the meatballs cook make the tzatziki sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
4.To assemble, put a small amount of sauce on the bottom of each lettuce, top with two to three meatballs and finish with more sauce. Garnish with chopped tomatoes.
- Eat and Enjoy!
Tip: Serve with a side Greek salad!
Chicken Tortilla Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (I make my own)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, diced small (I used Roma, vine-ripened or cherry tomatoes may be substituted)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen (leave this out if you follow Paleo or Whole 30)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a Mexican blend with Monterey Jack and cheddar)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup seasoned tortilla chips, crushed (leave these out for a healthier meal!!)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed (leave these out if you follow Paleo or Whole 30)
- 1 medium Hass avocado, peeled and diced or make into guacamole, optional
- salsa, optional for garnshing
- sour cream, optional for garnishing
1.To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, and cook over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, flipping and stirring intermittently so all sides cook evenly. After the chicken has cooked through, evenly sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir to evenly coat. Cooking time will vary based on thickness of chicken breasts and sizes of pieces. Allow chicken to rest in pan off the heat while you prep the remaining ingredients.
2.Peel off the leaves of the butter lettuce from the core and stack them on a plate.
3.Place 2 leaves of butter lettuce on a separate plate (I like to double up the leaves so the wraps are sturdier) and add about 3 tablespoons chicken, 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon bell peppers, 1 tablespoon corn, 2 tablespoons cheese, a pinch of cilantro, and sprinkle with tortilla chips to taste.
4.Optional- add black beans, avocado or guacamole, salsa, or sour cream for garnishing. Fold up and serve immediately
Tip: Serve with a side of guacamole and homemade sweet potato chips!
Do you like these recipes?
GREAT! Than please share with others on your personal social media page!!