Y’all, it is HOT out there!!! And believe it or not, I don’t have air conditioning in my house.
I know, crazy right? I’m from Texas and that just isn’t an option there but here, in the Pacific Northwest, it is a rare thing to find air conditioning in someone’s house.
So, not only do we flock outside and try to find a hint of shade, we go to Target or to the movie theatre where there’s air conditioning because they aren’t insane. Also, we don’t cook! We avoid it as much as possible because, come on, have you ever cooked in a kitchen with NO air conditioning on a HOT summer day?
I have…I don’t recommend it.
So, with all that being said, here are four healthy AND tasty dinner recipes.
Green Goddess Salad
- 1/2 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as tarragon, sorrel and/or chives
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar, or white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or minced anchovy fillet
- 8 cups bite-size pieces green leaf lettuce
- 12 ounces peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; see Ingredient note)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 cup rinsed and chopped canned artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- Puree avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and anchovy in a blender until smooth.
- Divide lettuce among 4 plates. Top with shrimp, cucumber, tomatoes, chickpeas, artichoke hearts and celery. Drizzle the dressing over the salads.
Chicken Summer Rolls with Spicy Peanut Sauce
For the summer rolls:
12 8 ½-inch rice paper wrappers
1 large English cucumber, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled into ribbons about 3-inches long
2 large bell peppers, cored and thinly sliced
1 small head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
1 bunch scallions, sliced lengthwise into matchsticks about 3-inches long
1 small rotisserie chicken, skin removed, shredded
3 large plums, cored and thinly sliced
2 large, ripe avocados, cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
For the dipping sauce:
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons Sriracha
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
For the summer rolls:
1. Fill a large mixing bowl or flat-bottomed container with warm water.
2. Working with one wrapper at a time, soak the wrapper in the water until soft, about 30 seconds, then carefully lay the softened wrapper over a flat surface.
3. Lay a few pieces of each of the remaining ingredients (the vegetables and the chicken) in a row, roughly two inches above the bottom of the wrapper, leaving at least 2 inches on each side.
4. Form the roll by gently tucking the sides of the wrapper over the pile of chicken and vegetables and rolling everything up, from the bottom to the top.
5. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and ingredients.
Tip: If you don’t want to use rice paper you can use a flat out wrap or a lettuce wrap.
Creamy Avocado Cucumber Noodles with Smoked Salmon
- 1 • cucumber [noodled]
- 1 • avocado
- 1/4 • onion [thinly sliced]
- 3oz/8g • smoked salmon [thinly sliced ribbons]
- 1tbsp • capers
- 1/4 cup • cream cheese (I used plain non-fat Greek yogurt)
- Blend the avocado until smooth, add a little bit of lemon juice to keep it from going brown. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Coat the cucumber noodles with the avocado “sauce” and divide into plates.
- Top the noodles with cream cheese (you can soften the cheese with a bit of milk if needed), then the smoked salmon ribbons, onions and lastly sprinkle the capers.
- Serve and enjoy!
Avocado Caprese Wrap
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- ½ cup or so of fresh arugula leaves
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- basil leaves
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Layer slices of tomato, mozzarella cheese and avocado on ⅓ of the tortilla. Add a few torn pieces of basil leaves then drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season with kosher salt and pepper,
- Fold the tortilla in thirds and serve.
Tip: You can use a flat out wrap for less carbs!
Did you and your family enjoy these recipes? Of course you did!!! Please share them with your loved ones and on your personal social media pages!!